NHM Writer (Version 1.5) , software for writing in Indian Languages is launched
NHM Writer, a multi-lingual Indic writing software, which allows writing in Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu, Kannada, Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Bengali, Assamese (Bengali script) and Punjabi (Gurmukhi script) is launched, on the eve of the Indian Independence Day.
NHM Writer has been in existence over the last several months, enabled for writing in Tamil. This is now being extended for several Indian scripts. For languages other than Tamil, two key input methods have been made available: (1) An intuitive phonetic, roman letter equivalent (2) Inscript based input method, which is taught in typewriting institutes. The output for languages other than Tamil is in Unicode. Soon, more non-Unicode encodings will be made available for these languages.
The advantages of NHM Writer are as follows:
- The software is entirely free.
- The executable need not be touched at all, if you want to enable a new keyboard mapping input method or a new font encoding output, or an entirely new language.
- You can yourself develop the key input and encoding output scheme using a free developer kit, that you can download from this site when it is launched shortly.
- The software makes your computer enabled for complex indic unicode support. That is, when you install this software, your Windows XP, Windows 2000 (SP2), Windows 2003 etc. will automatically display Indic fonts correctly, without showing them in broken.
- The download file size is less than 1 MB.
- The installation is trivially easy. You can teach your grandma how to install and use this software over the phone. No need to read complex manual pages or help files.
- Key preview and on-screen keyboard feature are available.
- Experts can choose multiple languages easily.
There have been some updates on the software front.
- Language switch was earlier implemented through Alt+. Now too, the same is the default. However, an additional option is given for those who would rather use the Function keys - F2, F3, and so on. F1 is not used as it is mostly used as help button in several applications. This will help users to use this in applications such as Pagemaker, Photoshop etc.
- Limited Surround Text Support is made available.
- As before, Windows Text Services enables one automatically to choose the language input method and correct font while typing in Microsoft Word application.
The product can be downloaded from this page